BY KATHY FOLEY — A glance back at 2016. Enjoy!
JANUARY 2016 AT A GLANCE…
- Host announcements: Outrigger welcomed Elza Artiaga as resort manager for the Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort; Shaun Murphy as director of human resources at Outrigger Guam Beach Resort; Anil Jayawardena as financial controller for the Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort; I Wayan Sudira as executive chef at the Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort; Kathleen Korvalis and Denise Shigeta to Investor Services; and Kathleen “Kat” Santos as corporate receptionist/office assistant; and congratulated Alan Darr as vice president, human resources and support, Asia Pacific and Pam Cabrera as director of military affairs.
- The 26th Annual Na Poe Paahana Awards honorees and finalists were announced; Outrigger proudly had 14 standouts!
- We bid aloha to Rose Galiza and Lois Endo as they retired from Outrigger, both with 25 years of service.
- Global Contact Center hosts helped local children in need.
- Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort held festive cultural activities for guests for Loy Krathong festival.
- Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort guests took part in Outrigger’s Community Tourism Project to build a meeting bure at a local school.
- Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort’s Meimei service turned 6 and advanced child care training was held.
- Holiday happenings were held near and far.
- We opened a sales and marketing office in the Middle East.
- Outrigger sponsored Sony Open in Hawaii®.
- Outrigger Laguna Phuket Resort and Villas hosts and birthdays were recognized and celebrated.
- UH captured its seventh Outrigger Resorts Invitational title.
- Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort partnered with Fiji Kids to assist disadvantaged children in the Nadroga Navosa province.
- Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort and Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort honored at 2016 Travvy Awards.
- Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort and Outrigger Koh Samui Beach Resort celebrated Children’s Day in their communities.
- Blue Note Hawaii at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort opened to rave reviews.
- We recognized hosts with milestone years of service and also hosts of the fourth quarter 2015.
- We learned what’s in store for the Year of the Monkey.
- Outrigger Resorts was corporate sponsor of ESPN’s 1420 Jersey Fun Run supporting Special Olympics Hawaii.
DR. KELLEY HIGHLIGHTED…
- Facing change and how we have changed in many ways and will continue changing with every passing day but said, let’s not let this complicated era affect our optimistic outlook.
- Hawaii’s last sugar plantation and a historic milestone as they ceased operations.
- Outrigger’s hospitality champions honored at the Hawaii Lodging & Tourism Association’s Na Poe Paahana event.
FEBRUARY 2016 AT A GLANCE…
- Host announcements: Outrigger appointed Hills Balfour our U.K. representative for sales, marketing and PR support and Kazuhito “Kazu” Inakoshi as sales manager; and congratulated Niel Mason on his promotion to OHANA Group Manager and Tom Wakita to corporate director, programs and group sales.
- A new kindergarten will be built in Fiji’s Sigatoka Valley thanks to the Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort’s commitment to the community.
- The Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort proudly sponsored shirts for the British International School Phuket.
- Waipahu High School Academy of Hospitality and Tourism students shadowed OHANA Waikiki East by Outrigger® hosts.
- Several Outrigger hotels and resorts received Booking.com Guest Review Awards, an endorsement based on real guest experiences.
- Niel Mason participated in the 2nd Hawaii Language Roadmap Symposium, The Seal of Biliteracy: An introduction for Educators, Employers, and the Community.
- Outrigger Konotta Maldvies Resort provided assistance to the citizens of the atoll after a fire in the capital’s power plant.
- Chinese New Year was celebrated at several of our Waikīkī resorts.
- Outrigger Laguna Phuket Resort and Villas recognized hosts of the month, host of the year and January birthdays.
- The 2016 Four Paddles Process got underway.
- Bitsy Kelley shared her OZONE experience at the new Hawai‘i Division of Aquatic Resources coral-growing nursery.
- Outrigger Resorts proudly supported Mele Mei in LA during GRAMMY® Week.
- OHANA Waikiki Malia by Outrigger® celebrated The Outrigger Way core values with a Paddle One activity, cookie dipping/decorating with their new retail addition, the Honolulu Cookie Company.
- Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort and Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort guests were treated to a Hawaiian Vow Renewal Ceremony on Valentine’s Day.
- #teamOutrigger was out in force for the Outrigger Resorts Opening Series as the UH baseball team hosted a four-day series against The University of New Mexico Lobos.
- Outrigger Koh Samui Beach Resort hosts refurbished a children’s school.
- Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort won two awards at the Excellence in Tourism Awards.
DR. KELLEY HIGHLIGHTED…
- How a guest’s first five ‘golden minutes’ are our opportunity to welcome them with heartfelt warmth and aloha, melting their wintertime frustration.
- The history of the jumbo jet.
- How the U.S. federal government wanted to force Apple, Inc., to develop a program to unlock the encrypted files in smashed iPhones used by the couple who slaughtered 14 people, raising a lot of questions about privacy and security versus liberty and opportunity.
- How Cyclone Winston didn’t dampen Fiji’s Bula spirit!
MARCH 2016 AT A GLANCE…
- Pam Yagi, general manager Hokulani Waikiki by Hilton Grand Vacations Club, was honored at Pacific Business News’ 18th annual Women Who Mean Business awards.
- Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort’s Kani Ka Pila Grille (KKPG) celebrated its 7th anniversary with a fun-filled week of festivities.
- The Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort management team was proud to host students from Kawananakoa Middle School.
- Host announcements: Outrigger welcomed food and beverage management hosts to the Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort: Michael Viscovich, Christine Hoek and Elise Hernandez, and congratulated Ryan Kotani on his new position. We also announced Richard Oshiro as director of sales and marketing for Hawaii Vacation Condos by Outrigger®; Juliann Koo as tax and investment manager; and at the Outrigger Guam Beach Resort welcomed Ronaldo “Ronnie” Adriano as assistant director of finance; and congratulated Bradley “Brad” Murciano as Palm Café/The Grind/in-room dining manager.
- Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort vuvale awards recognized hosts’ efforts during Cyclone Winston.
- The Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort’s third annual Charity Tennis Tournament raised money for Baan Khok Wat Mai School.
- The Outrigger Guam Beach Resort hosted “Connections within our Pacific Ocean,” an exhibit by the Guam Museum, Guam Council on Arts & Humanities Agency, and artists of Oceania.
- Wyndham Vacation Resorts Royal Garden at Waikiki teamed up with the City and County to deep clean Hanauma Bay.
- The Outrigger Guam Beach Resort hosted students from the John F. Kennedy High School’s Job Shadow Program.
- The Outrigger Guam Beach Resort held its host appreciation party.
- The Outrigger Laguna Phuket Resort and Villas recognized host standouts and birthdays for the month of February.
- Outrigger Enterprises Group announced the rebranding of OHANA Hotels and Resorts to OHANA Hotels by Outrigger®.
- Outrigger Resorts was the sponsor for the Outrigger Spring Fling Tournament at Rainbow Wahine Softball Stadium.
- The Outrigger Resorts team was active at ITB Berlin and the International Hotel Investment Forum (IHIF).
- The first earth was turned at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort’s latest community tourism project, the construction of a kindergarten.
- We named our remaining suites in the Pacific Tower of the Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort after constellation stars: Hokumau, Hokupaa and Hokulei.
DR. KELLEY HIGHLIGHTED…
- The rapid recovery of our two Fiji properties after Cyclone Winston roared across the island nation.
- Outrigger Resorts’ sponsorship of Honolulu Festival to help carry the torch of perpetuating arts, music and culture in Hawaii.
- Assets School honoring a community asset in Kitty Lagareta, a long-time friend and colleague.
- Terrorism in Brussels, Belgium, as powerful explosions ripped through the city’s airport terminal and a metro station during rush hour. We must be vigilant and prepared.
APRIL 2016 AT A GLANCE…
- Outrigger Enterprises Group held its annual Pookela Awards.
- Outrigger Enterprises Group donated to the Fiji disaster fund.
- We honored our Kauai superstars at the Hawai‘i Lodging and Tourism Association Kauai Chapter 19th Annual Malama Awards.
- Host announcements: Outrigger announced Luke Hamada as director, revenue and pricing-Hawaii; Jordan Joanou as director, revenue and pricing-Hawaii/Guam region; Paul Richardson as chief operating officer; and Lauren Grech as sales manager-Fiji.
- The Outrigger Guam Beach Resort was awarded the prestigious Diamond Award by Rakuten Travel for 2015.
- University of Hawaii Rainbow Wahine beach volleyball team had a big weekend against Pac-12 for the Outrigger Beach Volleyball Challenge.
- We congratulated hosts for being examples of The Outrigger Way for the first quarter of 2016.
- As hotel sponsor, Outrigger was ‘happening’ at Hapalua.
- Waikiki Beach Walk® unveiled a refreshed version of their website www.waikikibeachwalk.com. Also launched was a new Japanese website jp.waikikibeachwalk.com.
- Outrigger Resorts announced our partnership with Global Hotel Alliance (GHA), the world’s largest alliance of independent hotel brands adding nine premier resorts to GHA’s network of 33 brands with more than 550 hotels spread across 76 countries.
- Our newest signature experience launched with the opening of the first branded Voyager 47 Club Lounge at the Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort.
- Outrigger Hotels and Resorts announced the launch of an unprecedented partnership with Japan Airlines Co. Ltd.
- We recognized milestone years of service met during the first quarter.
- Four of our Waikiki properties received the state’s prestigious 2016 Hawai‘i Green Business Award.
- Outrigger Laguna Phuket Resort and Villas and Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort celebrated Songkarn Day – the Thai New Year.
- Hosts of the Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort celebrated the resort’s second anniversary.
- As title sponsor of the 2nd annual Outrigger Resorts Aloha Invitational, we hosted all the teams, event organizers and CBS sports media at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort.
- As part of our E Mele Ana program of year-round support of Hawaiian music and culture, we sponsored the 6th Annual Mele Mei Celebration.
DR. KELLEY HIGHLIGHTED…
- Outrigger’s 2015 Chairman’s Award recipient Damian Clowes, vice president for corporate services, Asia.
- Our 2016 Global Leadership Conference.
- The Global Summit, an extraordinary gathering of many of the world’s Travel & Tourism leaders. Organized by the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC). Themed “Travel Beyond Boundaries,” the program focused on how Travel & Tourism can and should respond to the biggest issues of the moment including migration, climate change, terrorism, security and border policies.
- The unexpected passing of a great friend and partner, John Fitts.
MAY 2016 AT A GLANCE…
- On April 30, a record-breaking 28,000 local residents and visitors descended on Waikiki to celebrate one of Hawai‘i’s favorite foods, SPAM®, at the 14th Annual Waikiki SPAM JAM®.
- Host announcements: Tom Wakita was promoted to vice president sales and marketing, North America; Brent Shiratori to director, brand strategic planning and development; Jessica Thomas to corporate tax director; Elizabeth “Ellie” Agustin to director of sales and marketing for affiliate properties, the Airport Honolulu Hotel and the Best Western® The Plaza Hotel; and welcomed Greg Champion as director, global marketing and strategic partnership; Jennifer Obregon as director of human resources for the Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort; and Meli Titoko as sales and marketing manager for Castaway Island, Fiji Resort.
- We bid aloha to Wayne Staunton who retired from the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort after 40 years, Ho Soon Kang from the OHANA Waikiki Malia by Outrigger® after 37 years and Myra Sakurai from the Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach after 34 years of service.
- The Aloha Down Under Roadshow arrived in Sydney May 2.
- A high-level sales force representing Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort and Castaway Island, Fijji, gathered for the third annual Fijian Tourism Expo.
- Outrigger Resorts had a booth at the Arabian Travel Market (ATM) 2016 in Dubai.
- The Aloha Down Under Roadshow continued to New Zealand to highlight the Outrigger brand to the industry.
- Darren Edmonstone and Mark Simmons represented Outrigger Enterprises Group as speakers on two panels at the 2016 Australian Hotel Industry Conference and Exhibition (AHICE) in Melbourne.
- Queensland’s Sunshine Coast was the stage for the IVF Vaa (outrigger canoe) World Elite and Club Sprint Championships sponsored by Hawaiian Airlines and supported by Outrigger Resorts.
- 2016 Visitor Industry Charity Walk Chair Dean Nakasone said the event truly was a team effort.
- A Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) roadshow made its way to Melbourne and Sydney with Sydney-based sales manager Maria Alaveras representing our Phuket and Koh Samui properties.
- On behalf of Outrigger, Marc Landgraf, Tony Pedroni and Mark Simmons attended the inaugural Phuket Hotels Association meeting.
DR. KELLEY HIGHLIGHTED…
- National Travel & Tourism Week and said long before the next election cycle, visitors can quickly shift their travel plans to areas that are safe, where travel is pleasant and where they are made to feel welcome. Visitors can and do vote – with their wallets and pocketbooks!
- A heartwarming story about how the descendants of two local entrepreneurial families cooperated to provide exceptional hospitality and service to a group of visitors from Colorado.
- Hawaiian Airlines receiving authorization to fly from Tokyo’s Haneda Airport direct to Kona, on the Big Island of Hawai‘i.
- Memorial Day with a day of solemn prayer, reflection and mourning for the nearly 2 million men and women who have given their lives for our country since 1775.
JUNE 2016 AT A GLANCE…
- Host announcements: Outrigger welcomed Anuwat Kongthon as assistant director of human resources for the Outrigger Koh Samui Beach Resort; Eugene Oelofse as director of marketing and e-commerce, Asia Pacific; welcomed back to Hawaii Simeon Miranda as general manager of the Embassy Suites by Hilton™ – Waikiki Beach Walk®; and congratulated Anita Travis on her appointment to corporate director at our global contact center.
- #teamOutrigger showed their spirit at the Honolulu Ekiden 2016.
- In conjunction with World Oceans Month, Outrigger Resorts took on several global OZONE initiatives to do our part in making our environment better for the next generation.
- Through our E Mele Ana initiative, Outrigger Hotels and Resorts continued to demonstrate its commitment to Hawaiian music through our sponsorship of Mele Mei 2016, Mele Mei Sundays at Kani Ka Pila Grille, Henry Kapono and Friends Concert at Blue Note Hawaii and Na Hoku Hanohano Awards.
- Outrigger sent a strong sales and marketing team to the International Luxury Travel Market (ILTM), Asia’s leading luxury travel event held this year in Shanghai.
- Outrigger Resorts attended the Thailand Travel Mart+ (Thailand Travel Mart, plus the Mekong Region, TTM+) in Chiang Mai, northern Thailand.
- In conjunction with the 13th Annual International Coral Reef Symposium, Outrigger joined the community to raise the reef. The event highlighted how public-private partnerships work to protect coral reefs and provided a forum for community members to learn more through outreach booths. As an event sponsor, Outrigger Enterprises Group joined the National Marine Sanctuaries, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the International Society for Reef Studies and the Hawaii Institute for Marine Biology in hosting an outreach booth throughout the forum evening.
- We bid aloha to Bob Yeoman, general manager of the Embassy Suites by Hilton™-Waikiki Beach Walk.®
- Outrigger hosts were invited to a “Meet and Greet” with UH Football Head Coach Nick Rolovich at the Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort, an exclusive benefit offered to Outrigger as a Diamond Corporate Partner of the UH Athletics program.
- The Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort held its “Flavors of the Reef” event where hosts share their culture with each other and guests.
DR. KELLEY HIGHLIGHTED…
- The reopening of Castaway Island, Fiji Resort on June 1 as promised after severe damage from Tropical Cyclone Winston.
- Hokulea making history as she sailed into New York City.
- The loss of a wonderful person on May 30, when entertainer Jimmy Borges passed away at age 80 after a long battle with cancer.
JULY 2016 AT A GLANCE…
- Host Announcements: Outrigger announced Bitsy Kelley as vice president, corporate relations; Robert Ishihara as general manager, Hokulani Waikiki by Hilton Grand Vacations Club; Bill Rees as general manager of The Kapalua Villas Maui; Marc Landgraf as general manager, Outrigger Koh Samui Beach Resort; Brandon Asuncion as, OHANA Hotels by Outrigger® and Jeannie Gaminde as director of revenue management, Outrigger Guam Beach Resort; and welcomed Monica Salter, vice president, corporate communications and Gloria Cheung, corporate director, HR services.
- The Outrigger team attended the U.S. Travel Association’s International Pow Wow (IPW) 2016, the travel industry’s premier international marketplace and largest generator of travel to the U.S.
- Outrigger University graduated its fifth Outrigger Growing Leaders class.
- Milestone 20 years was celebrated at Kiahuna Plantation Resort Kauai by Outrigger® and 15 at Royal Sea Cliff Kona by Outrigger®.
- Twenty-five junior rugby players from Newport Rugby Club, Sydney, and their dads together with hosts from Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort gave Conua School a major refurbishment.
- Ku Haaheo and Waikiki Beach Walk® presented Te Avamoa, a rarely seen cultural exchange.
- Hawai‘i Lodging & Tourism Association’s HIP, celebrating Hawaii’s finest ambassadors of hospitality, honored Troy Hiura from the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort.
- We celebrated hosts from across the globe who met milestone years of service.
- We bid aloha to Nancy Daniels who retired from outrigger after 21 years of service.
- Outrigger Laguna Phuket Resort and Villas management team organized a farewell congratulations party for Khun Marc Landgraf, general manager, to wish him well as he departs to Outrigger Koh Samui Beach Resort.
- The Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort celebrated the 51st anniversary of Maldives’ independence from the British on 26 July.
DR. KELLEY HIGHLIGHTED…
- Independence Day, and suggested we think about those who fought to give us freedom. Ask yourself if we’ve lived up to their hopes and expectations. If not, decide what you might do to help get us back on the right track and “Let Freedom Ring.”
- RIMPAC, the Rim of the Pacific Exercise, the world’s largest international maritime warfare exercise. The sincere and heartfelt hospitality we share will be understood and appreciated by these men and woman who make sacrifices for our freedoms.
- That we can save the day or even rescue an entire vacation when a guest’s vacation goes wrong during this busy summer travel season.
- Outrigger Resorts being named Best Hotel/Resort Group at the Australian Federation of Travel Agents’ (AFTA) National Travel Industry Awards for Excellence in a competitive field of finalists that included global players like Accor Hotels, Club Med, Starwood Hotels & Resorts and other leading hotel chains.
AUGUST 2016 AT A GLANCE…
- The weekend edition of the Today Show was filmed live at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort to over 1 million viewers.
- Host announcements: Outrigger welcomed Clyde Min as area general manager; Ju Hee “Jenny” Kim as sales manager at the Outrigger Guam Beach Resort; Marian Khan as resort manager at Castaway Island, Fiji; and John Allanson as general manager at Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort; and announced Reid Yoshida as general manager at the Outrigger-managed Wyndham Vacation Resorts Royal Garden at Waikiki; Sheila Gerbig-Hussey as general manager at the Royal Kahana Maui by Outrigger®; Robin Estrada as director of sales and marketing for Hawaii Vacation Condos by Outrigger®; Marc Landgraf as general manager of the Outrigger Koh Samui Beach Resort; and Daniel Roy as director of revenue management Fiji.
- Outrigger bid aloha to “Virgie” Asakawa who retired after 34 years, Mercy Mariano after 44 years and Han Qin Wang after 27 years.
- The Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort celebrated its first anniversary by inviting travel industry professionals to the resort.
- The Guam Visitors Bureau and Guam Hotel and Restaurant Association recognized outstanding hosts from the industry with HERO (Hospitality Employees aRe Outstanding) Awards.
- Hosts of the Quarter for the second quarter 2016 were celebrated.
- Dr. Chuck Kelley highlighted our summer internship program that provides invaluable hands-on knowledge of the hospitality industry.
- Industry officials, vendors, business partners and Hawai‘i Lodging & Tourism Association members gathered to recognize Troy Hiura from the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort, with the HLTA Kahiau Award (selfless generosity).
- Outrigger was a major sponsor for the 16th Annual ALOHA Yokohama festival with more than 220,000 visitors attending.
- The Fiji National Culinary Team, represented by two Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort chefs, took home bronze in Olympic-like fashion at a contest held in Auckland, New Zealand.
- Dr. Chuck Kelley shared that Outrigger works every day to promote health and wellness among its hosts and guests and around the globe our ‘ohana pitches in to help local communities.
- Outrigger Hotels and Resorts expanded our partnership with University of Hawai’i Athletics as a Diamond Corporate Sponsor.
- The 34th Annual Slack Key Guitar Festival kicked off with the Slack Key Jam at Kani Ka Pila Grille.
- The 8th Annual Kani Ka Pila Grille Talent Search Contest took place at the Made in Hawaii Festival and Puuloa announced winners.
DR. KELLEY HIGHLIGHTED…
- A surprise gift of a 60-year-old dinner Matson Navigation dinner menu from the deluxe passenger liner SS Lurline. Outrigger Hotels and Resorts has taken the spirit of unbound hospitality expressed in these murals and made it the heart of our operations across the Pacific and hopes the cultural history exemplified in Eugene Savage’s Matson murals helps readers understand how that all came to be.
- The grand reopening of International Market Place and its history and relationship to Outrigger.
SEPTEMBER 2016 AT A GLANCE…
- Dr. Chuck Kelley shared highlights of Duke’s OceanFest 2016.
- The University of Hawaii (UH) Rainbow Warriors and the University of California Golden Bears played the opening game of the 2016 NCAA College Football Championships in Sydney.
- We congratulated Outrigger University’s most recent Management Fundamentals Program grads.
- Five Outrigger branded, affiliated or managed properties in Waikiki were awarded the 2016 Green Business Award by the Hawai‘i State Energy Office’s Green Business Program.
- Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort’s Bebe Spa Sanctuary was awarded a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence, its third in as many years.
- Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort General Manager Peter Hopgood was named winner of HM Magazine’s prestigious Ashley Spencer Service to the Hospitality Industry Award.
- Host announcements: Outrigger announced Raymond Scott corporate director, information technology; Sheryl Tsugawa assistant general manager at the Embassy Suites by Hilton™-Waikiki Beach Walk®; Cyrille Carmona deputy general manager at the Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort; Ivan Haller executive assistant manager in charge of food and beverage at the Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort; Christopher Long executive chef at Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort; Nathan Bantau reservations manager at our Global Contact Center; and Niel Mason area general manager.
- Outrigger bid aloha to Linda Wang who retired with 30 years of service.
- Outrigger was tournament sponsor for the University of Hawai‘i Women’s Outrigger Soccer Classic Series.
- Our Outrigger.com redesign received a 2016 GOLD Magellan Award from Travel Weekly in the Hospitality – Website category and the Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resorts promo video in the Hospitality marketing – Promotional Video category.
- #teamOutrigger hosted a fun-filled weekend with UH Wahine Volleyball at the Outrigger Resorts Volleyball Challenge.
- Hawaii welcomed the IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources) World Conservation Congress.
- We kicked off the 70th Annual Aloha Festivals celebrating Outrigger Day Sept. 16.
- Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort’s Bebe Spa Sanctuary won International Best Spa Design at the Pevonia Awards and Bebe therapist Shivanjani Lata was a finalist in the Best Therapist of the Year category.
- Outrigger was the presenting sponsor for the inaugural XTERRA Pan America Championship off-road triathlon and the XTERRA Train Run National Championship in Ogden, Utah.
DR. KELLEY HIGHLIGHTED…
- September 11, 2001, and encouraged us to work together to keep Travel & Tourism on that upward path, and every year in early September let us stop for a moment to say a prayer for those killed or scarred by radical terrorism on that day.
- Outrigger hotels and its affiliates celebrated an extended International Housekeepers Week and honored our Housekeepers around the Pacific and Indian oceans.
OCTOBER 2016 AT A GLANCE…
- Outrigger Enterprises Group joined with the people of Thailand and people all over the world to offer its deepest condolences and respects upon the passing of His Majesty, King Bhumibol of Thailand.
- David Carey was honored with Pacific Business News’ first-ever Pineapple Award for Leadership in Hospitality Management.
- We bid aloha to Barry Wallace after 21 years and Charlotte Kanamu after 7 years of service.
- Outrigger provided a Signature Experience for UH at the 2nd annual UH Mahalo Reception.
- Over 200 hosts made it a priority to visit Outrigger’s 2016 Wellness Fair held “For the health of it!”
- Host announcements: Outrigger announced Tammy Uy vice president, creative development; Will Caraway OHANA Hotels by Outrigger® director of sales and marketing; Mary Loy director of sales and marketing for our Waikiki beachfront resorts and Kazuhito “Kazu” Inakoshi assistant director, market development.
- The Waikiki Community Center (WCC) honored Jean Rolles with the Kahiau Award for her seemingly tireless efforts to improve our community and assist those with needs.
- We celebrated the unveiling of the KI HOALU: Honoring the Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar exhibit during the 2016 Hawai‘i Tourism Authority Conference (HTA) at the Hawaii Convention Center.
- We hosted the HTA to a reception of networking and sharing.
- The International Executive Housekeepers Association-Hawai‘i Chapter held its annual Bosses’ Night.
- The 2016 Hawai‘i Tourism Conference brought together leaders and visionaries in an innovative format of networking and sharing.
- The Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort won “Best Resort Asia Pacific” at an awards ceremony by Travel Weekly Asia.
- Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort came in #25 in The 30 Best Resorts in Hawai‘i in Condé Nast Traveler’s Readers’ Choice Awards.
- We honored Hosts of the Quarter (HOQ) for the third quarter 2016.
- Outrigger Resorts attended ITB Asia in Singapore.
- As official hospitality partner and co-host of the XTERRA World Championship, Outrigger hosted the Outrigger Hospitality Pavilion.
DR. KELLEY HIGHLIGHTED…
- Founders Day as we celebrated the lives of our company’s founders, Roy and Estelle Kelley.
- The damage and loss of life caused by Hurricane Matthew cautioning that we should recognize the possibility, pray that it does not happen anytime soon, but be prepared for when it does. Because, sooner or later, it will.
- How we are always looking for ways to be better prepared for the next storm. We should, because it’s impossible to tell when a full-blown hurricane, typhoon or cyclone will bear down on one of our properties in the Pacific or Indian oceans, but eventually one will.
- Voting and said, we should also take a moment to honor those who have, in the past and even today, put their lives on the line to protect our right to choose our leaders in honest, free elections.
NOVEMBER 2016 AT A GLANCE…
- Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort hosted one of Hawaii Food & Wine Festival’s Signature Events, “Battle of the Brunch and Bass Round III.
- Host announcements: Outrigger announced Craig Wienckowski corporate director, revenue and pricing, asset management – Hawaii and Teerathep ‘Tor’ Tishabhiromya executive chef at the Outrigger Koh Samui Beach Resort in Thailand; and Sirikarn ‘Dao’ Aud-Nhunphan human resources and training manager.
- The first Years of Service Poll was taken for our hosts who reached milestone 25+ years of service.
- The Outrigger Koh Samui Beach held a traditional monk blessing ceremony believed to bring prosperity and good luck to the resort.
- Over 20 eye specialists from North America spent a week working at the Sigatoka District Hospital to make over 800 consultations and complete 100 eye operations for the local residents of Nadroga. Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort hosted the doctors during their weeklong stay in Fiji providing complimentary accommodation and meals.
- Nearly one hundred guests joined in celebrating the launch of The Outrigger Journey in-room book and “World Crew” Aloha Shirt Collection at the Waikiki Beach Walk® Plaza.
- Thousands of Hawai‘i’s military personnel, along with friends and families, swarmed the Stan Sheriff Center for the fifth annual ESPN ARMED FORCES CLASSIC. As official hotel partner, Outrigger Hotels and Resorts was courtside for the event with giveaways and on-court promotions.
- Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort participated in World Travel Market London.
- Outrigger sponsored the first sellout game of the season for UH men’s basketball.
- Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort and Hotelbeds Thailand Ltd., joined forces and “Share4Change.”
- Jean Rolles shared her recollection of the Pearl Harbor attacks through the eyes of a then 6-year-old.
DR. KELLEY HIGHLIGHTED…
- The 75th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor themed “Honoring the Past, Inspiring the Future.”
- How “Change is the only constant in life” following our company’s announcement that we have entered into an agreement with an affiliate of Denver-based KSL Capital Partners, LLC (KSL), under which KSL will acquire Outrigger Hotels Hawaii. He said he is looking forward to the opportunity to slow down, relax and finish the book he has been writing about the development of Hawaii’s tourism industry during the past 70-plus years.
- Castaway Island, Fiji Resort’s 50th anniversary and a bit of history.
- Events commemorating the 75th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor and some amazing stories.
DECEMBER 2016 AT A GLANCE…
- Christmas came early to Outrigger’s Fiji community as the Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort oversaw the official opening of a kindergarten and library built as part of its voluntourism program; hosted a corporate Christmas party attended by Outrigger executives from Thailand and Hawai‘i, as well as local and international media and industry colleagues; and took part in a charity golf day that hit their fundraising target.
- Host announcements: Outrigger welcomed Guillaume de Lasteyrie, as resort manager; Janice Shahine, director of human resources at the Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort; Revell Newton as general manager of the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort and congratulated Gay Shinbara as guest engagement specialist.
- Outrigger sponsored UH football “Senior Night” with a pregame VIP reception, freebies at the turnstiles, games and prizes at the Outrigger tent and our popular “Wacky Tourist” halftime game.
- Outrigger Koh Samui Beach Resort held its annual White & Blue host party thanking hosts for their hard work in 2016.
- Outrigger Guam Beach Resort held their Caring for Our Community project, a two-week canned food drive to raise awareness and lend a helping hand.
- Outrigger was proud to be a bronze sponsor in support of the Pearl Harbor commemoration.
- Stanley Daguay retired from the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort after 49 years.
- Outrigger sponsored XTERRA Trail Run World Championship at Kualoa Ranch.
- Outrigger helped to create the Phuket Hotel Association with Mark Simmons on the advisory committee as marketing consultant.
- Max Sword was elected chairman of the Honolulu Police Commission for 2017.
- The Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort recognized hosts celebrating 5 years of service.
- Outrigger was the official hotel sponsor for the 44th Honolulu Marathon with the Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort hosting elite runners, including the winner.
- Photos from near and wide start to trickle in as hosts celebrate the season.
DR. KELLEY HIGHLIGHTED…
- His recollections as we paused to recognize the 75th anniversary of the attacks on Pearl Harbor.
- Pearl Harbor perspectives.
- The history behind Saturday Briefing as he retires as scribe, editor and publisher of one of the most unusual corporate newsletters in the hospitality industry if not in the world and his gratitude to each and every contributor to Saturday Briefing for helping him to “catch people doing something good” to bring their accomplishments to everyone’s attention, and to continually remind all our readers that “Tourism Is Everybody’s Business.”